Transit Visa (TR)
- Transit visa is granted for sole purpose of enabling the holder to travel through India to reach his/her ultimate destination.
- Transit visa is not required for a passenger, passing through direct transit by air that does not involve change of Airlines or journey that does not involve re-checking luggage.Transit visa is not required in case passenger remains within specified precincts /waiting area reserved for International Transit Passengers at an Indian Airport and the passenger is not going to cross the Immigration Controls at any time.
- Transit Visa is required for passenger moving from International Terminal to Domestic Terminal of an Indian Airport or if he/she is going to stay in an airport hotel even for a few hours.
- The applicant is advised to discuss with concerned airlines for exact requirements.
- The Transit Visa is valid for entry within 15 days from the date of issue. It can be a single entry or a double entry depending on the requirement. Transit visa is valid for only 3 days each entry (including the day of arrival and departure). For stay in India beyond 3 days, appropriate visa must be obtained.
- TR visa application should be accompanied by (i) confirmed air-ticket for onward journey from India and (ii) appropriate valid visa in case, the applicant is travelling to a third country other than country of his/her nationality.
Check list Do and Don’ts for Indian Visa Click here
- Duly completed Visa Application Form.
- Two recent (not more than 3 months old) 2×2 inch colour photograph (without spectacles) depicting full face with both ear visible in white background. Photo on Passport and VAF must match applicant’s present appearance.
- Previous visit details at Serial Number F of sample Visa application Form :
- Applicant to fill the correct visa details of last visit to India.
- Applicant mention the last availed (actual Traveled) visa number starting with alphabet along with date of issue. (eg: VLI123456 dated 25 June 2017).
- In case the last visa was an eTV (electronic Visa / e-visa). The visa number and date (date of first entry on e-visa) as stamped / registered on applicant’s passport by Bureau of Immigration,India at time entry into India.
- Previous passports (If previous passport is lost please provide the police compliant report).
- Ticket for onward journey through India.
- For Sri Lanka national photocopyof NIC / Driving License or Birth Certificate.
- Address Proof (NIC/Driving License / Bank Statement / Rent Agreement / Telephone Bill / G S Certificate).
- In case of minor No objection letter from parents along with photocopy of their passports.
- For non-Sri Lankan nationals applying for a visa, photocopy of their passport must be enclosed with the visa application form.
- Visa applicants with dual nationality must produce both the passports (along with photocopies) at the time of application and fill the FAX Reference form Click here to download.
Note: No handwritten FAX form will be accepted at visa application centre.
- This is not intended to be a complete list of documents that may be needed. High Commission reserves the right to seek additional documents post submission of application.
- The Passport should have a minimum validity of 6 months on the date of application with at least two blank pages.
- Tampered or damaged passports are not accepted.
- Some individual cases may require more time for processing.
- Applicants may have to attend an Interview at “The High Commission of India” / “Post” if required
- High Commission of India reserves the right to refuse visa without assigning reasons and without refund of fee.