Foreigners desiring to undertake research work in India must apply two weeks before the planned visit to India in prescribed format giving full bio-data and synopsis of thesis. Research visa in certain cases requires prior clearance from Government of India. Acceptance letter from the Indian institution/ university and details such as period of proposed research in India, educational qualifications, arrangement for stay and meeting expenditure towards boarding/lodging, must accompany the Application Form. The duration of Research Visa will be as per the duration of the research period.
Check list Do and Don’ts for Indian Visa Click here
- Duly completed Visa Application Form.
- Endorsement of profession in passport is must where there is a provision
- Acceptance letter from the Indian Institution clearly mentioning details such as period of proposed research in India.
- Educational qualifications, arrangement for stay and meeting expenditure towards boarding/lodging, must accompany the Application Form.
- Two recent (not more than 3 months old) 2×2 inch colour photograph (without spectacles) depicting full face with both ear visible in white background. Photo on Passport and VAF must match applicant’s present appearance.
- Previous visit details at Serial Number F of sample Visa application Form :
- Applicant to fill the correct visa details of last visit to India.
- Applicant mention the last availed (actual Traveled) visa number starting with alphabet along with date of issue. (eg: VLI123456 dated 25 June 2017).
- In case the last visa was an eTV (electronic Visa / e-visa). The visa number and date (date of first entry on e-visa) as stamped / registered on applicant’s passport by Bureau of Immigration,India at time entry into India.
- Previous passports (If previous is passport is lost please ensure endorsement to that effect in current passport or provide the police compliant report).
- Photocopy on N.I.C / Driving License/ Birth Certificate (For Sri Lanka national only).
- Address Proof (NIC/Driving License / Bank Statement / Government Utility bills / G S Certificate).
- Duration of visa will be decided on a case-to-case basis.
- This is not intended to be a complete list of documents that may be needed. High Commission reserves the right to seek additional documents post submission of application.
- The Passport should have a minimum validity of 6 months on the date of application with at least two blank pages.
- Some individual cases may require more time for processing.
- Applicants may have to attend an Interview at “The High Commission of India” if required.
- High Commission of India reserves the right to refuse visa without assigning reasons and without refund of fee.