Employment Visa is granted to foreigners in Senior Managerial/Executive positions, who are highly skilled/qualified professional for jobs requiring advanced /special skills. Employment Visa will not be grated for routine jobs for which qualified personnel are available locally in India. Decision in this regard will be made by High Commission of India. An Employment Visa Applicant has to attend an interview at High Commission of India. Employment visa up to one year validity is granted which can be extended in India subject to fulfilment of conditions.
An Employment Visa is granted to the following types of foreign nationals:
- Foreign nationals coming to India as consultant on contract for whom the Indian company pays a fixed remuneration.
- Foreign artists engaged to conduct regular performances for the duration of the employment contract given by Clubs or other organizations.
- Foreign nationals who are coming to India to take up employment as coaches of national/state level teams or reputed sports clubs.
- Foreign sportsmen who are given a contract for a specified period by Indian Clubs/Organizations.
- Self-employed Foreign nationals coming to India for providing engineering, medical, accounting, legal or such other highly skilled services in their capacity as independent consultants provided the provision of such services by foreign nationals is permitted under law.
- Foreign language teachers/interpreters.
- Foreign ethnic chefs.
- Foreign engineers/technicians coming to India for installation and commissioning of equipment etc. as per terms of contract for supply of such equipment etc.
- Foreign nationals deputed for providing technical support/services, transfer of know-how/services for which the Indian company pays fees/royalty to foreign company.
- Senior management personnel and/or specialists employed by foreign firms who are relocated to India to work on specific project/management assignment.
- Foreign nationals coming to India for execution of a project/contract.
- Foreign nationals who are coming to India on short visits to a customer location to repair any plan or machinery as part of warranty or annual maintenance contracts.
- Foreign nationals coming to India for imparting training for the personnel of the Indian company.
- For working with a Non-governmental organization (NGO).
Check list Do and Don’ts for Indian Visa Click here
Documents to be attached with Employment Visa Application
- Duly completed Visa Application Form.
- Two recent (not more than 3 months old) 2×2 inch colour photograph (without spectacles) depicting full face with both ear visible in white background. Photo on Passport and VAF must match applicant’s present appearance.
- The Passport should have a minimum validity of 18 months on the date of application with at five blank pages.
- Previous passports (If previous passport is lost please provide police compliant report).
- Photocopy of N.I.C / Driving License/ Birth Certificate (For Sri Lanka national only).
- Photocopy of appointment/contract letter and extension of contract (if applicable).
- A Justification Letter for hiring the employee from the employer.
- Letter from Indian Employer stating Number of Indian and Foreigner employed by the employer.
- Photocopies of Educational certificates:-
- Educational Certificate refers to Masters/PG/Graduate/Diploma and Certificate Course of minimum Three month duration only.
- Applicant should not attach any unnecessary documents not relevant to employment such as CV/ Bio-data/certificates viz. achievements in extracurricular activities/ sports.
- Previous Work Experience Certificate in the related field, if any.
- Photocopy of Certificate of Incorporation of employer and Certificate of Name Change (if applicable).
- Form 16 Part B or 26AS-TRACES of applicant, if previously worked in India.
- Fax reference form in case of foreign nationals and Sri Lankan nationals holding Work permit/ Resident visa in another country.
- Registration with FRO/FRRO is required within 14 days of arrival for visas issued for more than 6 months.
- Presently, employment visa up to one year validity is granted which can be extended in India.
- This is not intended to be a complete list of documents that may be needed. High Commission reserves the right to seek additional documents post submission of application.
- Tampered or damaged passports are not accepted.
- Some individual cases may require more time for processing.
- High Commission of India reserves the right to refuse visa without assigning reasons and without refund of fee.
- The spouse and children accompanying the applicant having Employment would be issued the employment dependent visa only after the applicant obtains employment visa. The copy of the applicant‘s employment visa should be attached with the spouse/children application along with a copy of marriage/birth certificates.
Note: No handwritten FAX form will be accepted at visa application centre.